2023 Starnet Design Awards Winners
Starnet Commercial Flooring, the world’s largest network of full-service commercial flooring contractors, reveals the 2023 Starnet Design Awards Winners. This year marks the 25th anniversary of the commercial flooring design competition. Annually the awards celebrate the high-quality projects completed by Starnet flooring contractors in partnership architects, designers, and Starnet aligned manufacturing partners.
This year’s winners were selected by a panel of four judges across 8 categories including Corporate, Education, Healthcare, Hospitality and Public Space, Mixed-Use Developments, Single Source Interior Contractor, Unique Installation Challenge, and Canadian Project of Year. Each gold category winner contended for the overall 2023 Starnet Grand Prize award. Additionally, Starnet revealed the esteemed People’s Choice winner, which were nominated by Starnet Members and Preferred Vendor Partners.
“It is always exciting to see the high-quality work being delivered by Starnet flooring contractors. Our members enable the success of so many organizations through the built environment. The quality of that work in the United States, Canada and the world is celebrated by the Starnet Design Awards,” said Mark Bischoff, President and CEO of Starnet Commercial Flooring. “Beautifully designed projects are executed by the Starnet members using the overwhelming power of industry collaboration. The awards highlight the true value of delivering world class commercial interiors and the positive impact on society that our members have each day,” he added.
Grand Prize Winner & Gold in Healthcare | Commercial Flooring Systems, Inc.
The 2023 Grand Prize was presented to Commercial Flooring Systems for its exceptional work on the Children’s Hospital Hubbard Center for Children, located in Omaha, Nebraska. This project involved the construction of a new nine-story tower and a 55,000-square-foot renovation of the existing hospital. The facility’s design incorporates a vibrant blend of colors, creative patterns, and innovative elements that promote healing and comfort, creating a welcoming atmosphere for children and their families to relax and recover.
- Starnet Member: Commercial Flooring Systems
- Designer: HDR
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: AHF, Altro, Ardex, Armstrong Flooring, Futura Industries, Henry Adhesives, J+J Flooring, Johnsonite by Tarkett, Measure Square, NeverStrip Floor Coatings, Ardex, Spec-Intel, Tarkett Collection Hard Surfaces, XL Brands
Gold in Corporate | DCO Commercial Floors
DCO Commercial Floors won gold in the Corporate category for its work in the stunning and innovative office space at The Battery Atlanta. This project was a joint venture between DCO Commercial Floors and Starnet member Occupied Renovations who provided finish design services and acted as owner liaison between the client and architectural firm. This office space fulfilled all the goals of creating a space that lends itself to a collaborative work environment, a forward-thinking design, and a place that allows comfort and collaboration.
- Starnet Member: DCO Commercial Floors
- Finish Designer: Occupied Renovations
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Altro, Armstrong Flooring, Chapco, Daltile, J+J Flooring, Johnsonite by Tarkett, Mannington Commercial Carpet, Mapei, Milliken Commercial, Mohawk Hard Surfaces, RFMS, Spec-Intel, Uzin Utz North America, XL North
Gold in Education | DCO Commercial Floors
DCO Commercial Floors took home a second-category gold in Education for their work completed in the Butts-Megre Heritage Hall. The facility serves as University of Georgia’s athletic headquarters which was expanded by 136,300 square feet and included a renovation of 28,700 square feet of existing space. The end outcome was stunning with the flooring making a profound brand statement and positioning the athletic programs for future success.
- Starnet Member: DCO Commercial Floors
- Designer: HOK, Inc.
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Altro, American Olean, Daltile, Johnsonite by Tarkett, Mapei, Measure Square, Mohawk Soft Surfaces, RFMS, Spray-Lock, Taylor, TEC, Uzin Utz North America
Gold in Hospitality/Public Spaces | Consolidated Flooring
Consolidated Flooring’s work on LaGuardia Airport’s new Terminal B won gold in the Hospitality and Public space category. The project symbolizes the transformation of one of the nation’s highest-profile terminals. The design draws on the architecture, history, and geography of New York city. The flooring was used masterfully to accentuate the design elements, encourage traffic flow, and hide heavy traffic wear throughout the grand space.
- Starnet Member: Consolidated Flooring
- Designer: HOK, Inc.
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Ardex, Armstrong Flooring, Bostik, CMP Specialty Products, Johnsonite by Tarkett, Schönox, Tarkett Collection Hard Surfaces, Tarkett Soft Surfaces
Gold in Unique Installation | Wall 2 Wall Floorcoverings
Gold in Unique Installation was awarded to Wall 2 Wall Floorcoverings for their work at Brighton High School in Cottonwood Heights, Utah. The project was a complex replacement of the existing building that took place while the school remained operational over COVID. Taking center stage in this award-winning project was the numerous grand graphic inlays and the flooring installers’ talents hand-cutting and installing the intricate patterns for the floor design.
- Starnet Member: Wall 2 Wall Floorcoverings
- Designer: MHTN Architects
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Ardex, Armstrong Flooring, Mannington Commercial Resilient, Mohawk Soft Surfaces, Roppe, TEC, Tarkett Composite Tile, Wagner Electronics, XL North
Gold in Mixed-Use Development | Flooring Central
Flooring Central of New Jersey won gold in the Mixed-Use Development category for the superb work on the Conifer Flats apartment complex. The complex features a modern, sleek design, and high-end finishes throughout. This project was a challenge due to the combination of unique design concepts and using widely different flooring materials to create a cohesive, yet innovative design-forward appearance.
- Starnet Member: Flooring Central
- Designer: Builder Design
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Armstrong Flooring, Daltile, GrassTex, J+J Flooring, Johnsonite by Tarkett, Mapei, RFMS, XL Brands
Gold in Canadian Project of the Year | Couvre-Planchers Labrosse, Inc.
Couvre-Planchers Labrosse headquartered in Laval, Quebec was presented Canadian Project of the Year gold for the Groupe Legault – Mondou corporate headquarters. The client’s goal was to create a distinctive and unifying workspace to foster collaboration. The project team achieved this using an industrial and refined look throughout the vast and majestic space.
• Starnet Member: B. T. Mancini Co., Inc.
• Architect: HGA Architects
• Starnet Preferred Vendors: Johnsonite by Tarkett, Tarkett Collection, Uzin Utz North America, Inc.
Gold in People’s Choice | Image Flooring
This year’s gold in People’s Choice went to Image Flooring on the Flint Hills Discovery Center Playscape. Annually, the People’s Choice award is selected by Starnet members, preferred vendors, and the press. The award-winning project utilized an abstract topographical map flooring layout with curved geometrics and bold, earthy colors that coordinated with the Center’s branding. The completed project resulted in a beautiful educational space for children to safely explore the natural world.
- Starnet Member: Image Flooring
- Designer: BBN Architects
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: Ardex, Mapei, Mohawk Soft Surfaces, RFMS, Roppe
Gold in Single Source Interior Contractor Award | Consolidated Flooring
Consolidated Flooring took home gold in the Single Source Interior Contractor category for their work completed at the Adler Planetarium in Chicago. The award recognizes outstanding achievement in providing clients with a turnkey flooring solution from project conception to design, material selection to installation. Striking a balance between performance, comfort, acoustics, aesthetics and budget, Consolidated Flooring delivered a dynamic museum experience for the city of Chicago and the world.
- Starnet Member: Consolidated Flooring of Chicago
- Starnet Preferred Vendors: J+J Flooring, Johnsonite by Tarkett, Milliken Commercial, Uzin Utz North America, XL Brands
More than 25 awards were presented during an awards ceremony on Friday, May 19th. Visit the Starnet Design Awards website, designawards.starnetflooring.com, to see the outstanding projects completed by Starnet Members throughout the United States and Canada.
The Judging Panel
This year’s judges comprised a select group of industry professionals in architecture and design, along with a promising design student, who brought their exceptional talent and expertise to the panel.
- Paige Ofield, Master’s student at the Savannah College of Art and Design
- Sarah Tetens (NCIDQ, RID, IIDA, CHID, EDAC), Design Director at Baskervill
- Sascha Wagner (FIIDA, AIA, NCARB, LEED AP), President & CEO at Huntsman Architectural Group
Additionally, David Gross, Executive Director of INSTALL served as honorary judge for the Unique Installation Challenge Award.
For more information about the 2023 Starnet Design Awards and to view all the entrants and winners, visit the Starnet Design Awards Website.